michael’s been in the philippines and indonesia for the past 2 weeks. and, while 2 weeks isn’t all that long, i’ve discovered that about 10 days is my single parenting threshold. starting on day 11 it’s sort of a crap shoot – i fluctuate between all’s well and katie bar the door – and it’s better if whoever is around is on the opposite side of that door from me. but this trip we’ve managed. there have been a few close calls. some short fuses when short fuses weren’t called for, but no blood has been drawn and no permanent psychological damage has been done. (i think).
here are a few of the highlights that occurred after the 10 day threshold
- i made wassail for 300 and caught myself on fire. with flames and everything.
- s11 participated in the school christmas program. (even singing one song in thai – well, most of it. he forgot a few words.)
- c16 and i had our final performance of the
worstbest christmas pageant ever.
- a13 had birthday party (slumber/movie viewing).
- c16 performed a monologue and acted in a two one act plays. his monologue was disturbing, but powerful. maybe i mean powerfully disturbing.
michael gets home tomorrow. and i get to transition into a one-half of a pair of parents and i’ll be an active duty spouse again. it’s an akward
tug-o-war transition, because we both are ready for a break. ready for a sleep in and a day or two of much fewer responsibilities. i’ll actually be happy with a good night’s sleep. lack of sleep probably contributes greatly to that 10 day threshold. not being able to get to sleep before 2 in the morning when he’s gone sorta sucks.