our home leave is coming up. only 5 months away. and while 5 months isn’t quite the same as tomorrow it will still be here before we know it. and – until today – every time I’ve thought about returning to the states I’ve had a near panic attack. the memory of our trip here hasn’t become funny, yet. I sort of thought it would have by now, but nope, still quite scarring. and because of that I’ve really had no desire to board a plane to fly for hours and hours and hours. and I was sort of thinking I might never, ever fly across the ocean again. but this afternoon, while talking to a friend about our impending trip, I realized I’m excited about it. and it’s not just seeing friends and family that I’m looking forward to. I’ve started a little list, that I will continue to add to, of things I miss.
here’s the list… (people not included)
- knowing, without a doubt, that public restrooms are not squatty potties
- being fairly confident that there will be toilet paper available in at least one stall in a public restroom
- being able to flush toilet paper
- channel surfing
- drinking tap water
- hot water in the kitchen
- tacos from Jack in the Box (what?)
- diet cherry limeades from Sonic
- drive thru windows
maybe I’ll move this to my sidebar. wonder how long it can get.