It’s time for an end a beginning of the year meme!
1. What did you do in 2007 that you’d never done before? moved to Thailand, took my son to a scary fake doctor in Penang, started learning Thai…
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year? at the end of last year I wasn’t really thinking clearly, so I wasn’t resolving to do anything other than survive 2008, which I did. yes, I will make have made resolutions for this year.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth? Michael’s brother and his wife had a baby boy just a few weeks ago.
4. Did anyone close to you die? no
5. What countries did you visit? Malaysia
6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008? confidence
7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? January10, 2008 – we left the United States. January 13, 2008 – we arrived in Thailand. the day’s in between? we were in traveling limbo.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? driving. I think of it as a big achievement because we were so new here. I was driving in the wrong side of the car and on the wrong side of the road. the car was a stick shift and we got where we were going alive.
9. What was your biggest failure? not being more prepared for our move.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury? yes. we’re just calling it dengue even though we don’t really know what it was.
11. What was the best thing you bought? a stove
12. Whose behavior merited celebration? my kids. they have been real troopers through everything this move has entailed!
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? teachers who lacked the patience with my kids when we first moved
14. Where did most of your money go? Bills and groceries.
16. What song will always remind you of 2008? the Thai national anthem.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you: (a) happier or sadder? (b) thinner or fatter? (c) richer or poorer? happier, thinner, about the same
18. What do you wish you’d done more of? language study.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of? I wish I’d been overwhelmed less.
20. How did you spend Christmas? with my immediate family at home. very low key.
21. Did you fall in love in 2008? yes, with Thailand.
22. What was your favorite TV program? House
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year? nope
24. What was the best book you read? The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. I’m actually finishing it up as we speak. but I’m finding it very enjoyable.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery? no musical discoveries here.
26. What did you want and get? an stove.
27. What did you want and not get? nothing
28. What was your favorite film of this year? hmmm… I don’t know.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? I spent my 38th birthday eating out with some of the friends I’ve made this year.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? being better prepared for our move.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008? casual, but not too casual. and no shorts.
32. What kept you sane? my family and Shelly
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? James Spader
34. What political issue stirred you the most? well, I’m not sure it’s an actual issue, but it is a pretty big deal. campaigning and the election were interesting to experience from outside America.
35. Who did you miss? family and friends. sometimes painfully so.
36. Who was the best new person you met? Shelly
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008. Mai Pen Rai – it translates to “it’s nothing” and it means never mind, it’s cool, don’t get mad – get glad, take it easy, no worries, oh well – I can’t do anything about it.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year. Talk by Coldplay (this lyric does sum up my year, pretty well. but going into the new year I’m singing a whole new tune.)
Are you lost or incomplete?
Do you feel like a puzzle?
You can’t find your missing piece
Tell me how do you feel?
Well I feel like they’re talking in a language I don’t speak
And they’re talking it to me